Akio Kondo Bonsai Award – 2011

Posted in Reflections by Jonas Dupuich on January 25, 2011

Akio Kondo Bonsai Award – 2011

Bay Island Bonsai members were happy to entertain a visiting bonsai professional from Japan at their recent exhibit. Akio Kondo was in Northern California to visit the exhibit, to work on client trees, and to teach. While at the exhibit, Kondo selected a tree for a new award, the Akio Kondo Bonsai Award. The winning tree was a Korean hornbeam.

Korean hornbeam

Korean hornbeam, Carpinus turczaninovii, 16″ – Raho pot

Side view

I was very happy – and surprised! – to learn that my hornbeam had won the award.

Kondo presenting the award

On January 15, 2011, at the annual bonsai exhibit of Bay Island Bonsai, this award was given to the owner of the bonsai deemed most worthy of the award in this year’s exhibit according to Akio Kondo.

The award included a Japanese bonsai pot and an autographed copy of the 2010 Sakufu-ten show book – an event at which Kondo took the second most prestigious prize for exhibiting a beautiful hinoki he has worked on since 2005.

I have worked on this hornbeam since 2002. The trunk was in good shape when I acquired the tree but the branches lacked character so most were removed or pruned severely, as was the previous apex. Nine years later, the tree is starting to develop a more mature silhouette. Here is the tree as it was displayed at the exhibit.

Korean hornbeam and shimpaku as displayed

As displayed with small shimpaku and accent

I am very honored to accept this award and I hope I can continue to improve the tree as it ages.

1. Steve DaSilva said, on January 25, 2011 at 8:49 am

Very nice!

2. Mike Pollock said, on January 25, 2011 at 10:17 am

Congratulations. It’s a beautiful tree. We’re so used to seeing so many mediocre Korean hornbeams that a really nice one wows us even more.

3. Harry said, on January 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Hi Jonas, congratulations. Beautiful tree and very nice
    blog

4. John Romano said, on January 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Way to go Jonas. Nice tree and pot!
    John

5. Steven Alcairo said, on January 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I’ve always liked that Hornbeam Jonas. I’m happy to see you got that award. So, are you the first person to ever receive that Kondo award? It’s awesome either way.

6. Satsuki said, on January 25, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Jonas,
    A certainly well deserved win! That is a beautiful tree!!! It is also dressed extremely well!

Congratulations Again,
    Andrew

7. Frank Cucchiara said, on January 26, 2011 at 6:58 am

Congratulation ! Well deserved award. Beautiful tree & display.

8. AlexV said, on January 26, 2011 at 7:54 am

Congrats Jonas!

9. John Kirby said, on January 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Jonas,
    I can’t believe that you were able to get away with using those nefarious Alameda Mind Tricks on our Japanese friend. Shame on you.

Oh yeah, marvelous work.
    Congratulations,
    John

10. Dale Brock said, on January 27, 2011 at 5:03 am

That really is a nice hornbeam! Congrads on the award.

11. xwires said, on January 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Thanks everyone!

12. [...] Korean Hornbeam by Jonas Dupuich of Bonsai Tonight (photograph also by Jonas) recently won the Akio Kondo Bonsai Award at the Bay Island Bonsai Exhibit in Northern California (my apologies to Jonas for cropping his [...]

13. [...] 12th annual exhibit this past January. I wrote previously about cutting back the branches and displaying the tree at the exhibit – today I’ll describe the [...]