Hi, my name is Jonas Dupuich and I am a Northern California bonsai enthusiast. I began studying bonsai over 20 years ago when I met Boon Manakitivipart (see the full story). What started as a hobby has grown into a fulfilling profession working on and writing about small trees.
In 2009, I started the Bonsai Tonight blog (that, too, has a story). Since my first post, I’ve written over 800 articles in an attempt to share what I’ve learned and to spread enthusiasm for what I believe to be a wonderful pursuit.
I’ve had the great fortune to study extensively with Boon Manakitivipart and learn from his senpai Akio Kondo and Daisaku Nomoto. In 2011, I spent two months studying with Junichiro Tanaka at Aichi-en in Nagoya, Japan, during which time I worked on trees from Tanaka’s collection and participated in exhibits including Gomangoku, Meifu-ten, Taikan-ten and Sakufu-ten.
Wiring a black pine at Shimpukuji Temple
Decandling a black pine with Akio Kondo at a Bay Island Bonsai meeting
Exhibits & Awards
- Exhibitor, 5th U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition, 2016
- Exhibitor, Inaugural Artisans Cup, 2015
- Bay Island Bonsai Members’ Choice Awards 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015
- Bay Island Bonsai/Akio Kondo Bonsai Award, 2011
- Exhibited Entry, JAL/WBFF World Bonsai Contest, 2000, 2003, 2005