Identifying Suitable Material for Bonsai – 5 posts showing what you can and can’t learn from trees at different stages of development.
- Part 1: Nursery stock
- Part 2: Pre-bonsai
- Part 3: Old or collected material
- Part 4: Neglected bonsai
- Part 5: Mature bonsai
Beginner Series – 10 posts aimed at helping beginners get up to speed as quickly as possible.
- How to identify an appropriate environment for your bonsai
- How to evaluate bonsai water needs
- How to fertilize bonsai
- How to tell when something is wrong with your bonsai
- Distinguishing vigorous growth from healthy growth in bonsai
- Tips for using basic bonsai tools
- How to secure bonsai in the pot
- How to wire a Y branch intersection
- Tips for anchoring bonsai wire
- Finding a go-to resource when you need to learn more
Propagating Black Pines – tips for germinating black or red pines from seed and creating attractive surface roots with the seedling-cutting technique.
- How to grow Japanese black pine from seed
- How to create seedling-cuttings
- Effect of hormones on seedling-cuttings
- Finding the right hormone levels for making seedling-cuttings
Watering bonsai – tips for understanding when conifers or deciduous bonsai need water.
Winter Care for bonsai – a complete guide to protecting trees in winter for enthusiasts living in cold-climate areas.
Repotting a trident maple – a detailed look at the steps you’ll take to keep your trees healthy through regular repotting.
All about akadama – an overview of the unique soil particle from Japan that’s used around the world to cultivate bonsai.
Moss technique – an easy-to-follow guide to applying living moss to the surface of your bonsai.
Intermediate and Advanced Guides
Decandling black pine bonsai: an in-depth guide – overview to help you navigate the refinement of black and red pine bonsai.
How to Grow Bonsai from Seed or Cutting – a detailed guide that covers techniques for long-term development of quality bonsai.
Bonsai Development Series – an ongoing series of posts describing techniques for creating quality pre-bonsai.
Subscribe to Bonsai Tonight
New Posts Delivered Every Tuesday and Friday